CDA Nutrition Update
April celebrates the start of spring, Earth Day, and Global Child Nutrition Month (GNCM). GNCM is observed annually to heighten awareness of childhood hunger. The goal of GNMC is to create awareness that global hunger can be overcome by combining the will and resources of individuals and organizations. Freeing children from hunger allows them to become self-supporting citizens and is a step toward building a stable and peaceful world. GCNM provides a unique opportunity to demonstrate social responsibility and help increase awareness of global child hunger issues through Global Child Nutrition Foundation’s “Change Our World” campaign. Visit www.gcnf.org for more information. Another reason to celebrate is Earth Day on April 22nd. Visit www.earthday.org to and out what special Earth Day events are happening in your area.
2018 Annual Training Dates continue this month. Our next live training takes place in early May, so call the Nutrition Office to sign up today. You’ll have the opportunity to learn more about the new Meal Pattern, win great prizes, and receive a special gift from CDA!
Orange County – May 5th
CHOC Children’s Hospital OC $6 parking fee
Saturday 10:00 AM – English
Los Angeles County – May 19th
Children’s Hospital LA $10 parking fee
Saturday 10:00 AM – Spanish
Saturday 1:00 PM – English
San Diego County – June 2nd
San Diego County Office of Education
Saturday 9:30 AM – English
Saturday 1:00 PM – Spanish
Online Training – Available March 1-July 31st
Please feel free to review the Annual Training online even if you plan to attend or already a ended our live training. This is a great resource to take advantage of!
CDA Nutrition Program Reminders
- When enrolling new children, the parent must sign the enrollment form and date it with the child’s first day of care. The enrollment must be sent to the office within the child’s first 5 days of care to ensure that you receive your full reimbursement.
- Whole grains are required at least once per day at a reimbursable meal. If you claim using the bubble forms, please remember to bubble in the meal at which you offered the whole grain item. If you claim online, click the tab to indicate you offered a whole grain when relevant. If the box already indicates that the item is a whole grain, you do not need to click the box again.
- Save Labels for all grains/breads you use at CACFP meals. Your Monitor will use them to help train you during your in-home visits so you are con dent in your choices and prepared for successful mealtimes.
Recipe: Pita Pizzas
- 6 whole wheat pitas
- 1 cup marinara
- 1-2 cups veggies, your choice
- 11⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 450°. Place pitas on a large rimmed baking sheet, spread each with about 2 Tbsp of marinara leaving a bit of space around the edges for crust, add desired toppings, then cover with cheese and bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Serve with extra marinara for dipping.