CDA Nutrition Update
Happy New Year from the CDA Nutrition Team! We are starting 2018 with an optimistic air as we look forward to the new year being a great one. We had many changes happen over the last 3 months of 2017, but our CDA Providers handled it all gracefully and continue to do an amazing job adapting to the new Meal Pattern requirements, new and updated computer software, and new scanner forms. We are looking forward to another year of Annual Training and seeing you all in person!
Before we get to the training, we’re going to take a day to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. on January 15th. Dr. King took such a profound, compelling stand for racial equality during the American Civil Rights Movement that his efforts led to monumental progress toward racial equality in America. He remains an inspiration on to all those who stand for equality and social justice and CDA will be closed in honor of his achievements on Monday, January 15th.
- Providers claiming on scanner forms please start using the new forms that your Monitor brought you on your last visit. Throw out any old forms that you have. You will complete the en re month of January on the new forms and use them going forward; the old forms will no longer be accepted. Please be sure to use the food numbers on your new food list as some of the old food numbers have been removed. Meals will be disallowed when old food numbers are used to claim items that are no longer reimbursable and we always want you to receive your full reimbursement.
- Providers claiming online, if you have menu templates saved in KidKare please take a few minutes to update them to reflect the new food list. When a menu template contains foods that are no longer reimbursable, your menus show up as incomplete once you submit your claim because they are “missing components” that are not on the current food list. This results in disallowed meals and we want to make sure that you always receive your full reimbursement.
- Please call the office to re-activate a child who was previously enrolled. You need to call at least one day before the child will return to your care and office staff will add her/him back to your roster as pending so that you can print their enrollment, make any updates to their schedule, get parent signatures, and mail it to the office. Please do not re-enroll that child as a “new” child.
Recipe: Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1⁄2 chunks
- Juice and Zest of 2 limes’
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernels, frozen & defrosted
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Place potatoes into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender, about 6 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain and allow to cool. While potatoes are cooking, make dressing. In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, zest, salt, pepper, honey, and olive oil. Add cooled potatoes, scallions, beans, and cilantro. Toss gently. Serve at room temp or refrigerate and serve chilled.
Recipe: Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels sprouts
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 ̊F. Rinse Brussels Sprouts, remove any bad leaves and trim the ends, then toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a metal baking sheet and roast for 20-30 minutes until tender.